Macfarlane Wilder was approached by the Dorchester Collection in 2006 to obtain planning permission for the restoration of this derelict late 18th Century house to be converted to a country house 6 star hotel with luxury gardens. Coworth House and immediate gardens had been derelict for 10 years, having previously been the residential home to Lord Stanley, the 17th Earl of Derby (1908-1948), then the residence of his widow, Alice Stanley, Countess of Derby (1862-1957), later sold to a Roman Catholic Convent school in 1957 and subsequently becoming offices until bought by the Dorchester Collection 10 years ago.

The grounds were completely overgrown and neglected. Several historic features including the Ha Ha, the Sunken Garden, the Northern Garden, the Lime Avenue, the Lord Derby Tunnel, the Upper and Lower Terrace, were well hidden beneath dense, impenetrable vegetation.

The scheme involved the careful and respectful rediscovery of the hidden beauty of Coworth Park with the challenge of adapting this to a new leisure use and a hotel grounds of the highest standards.

Approximate Map Location


LEAVE A REPLY