Hafod Nursing Home is currently situated in two adjacent properties in Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham. The client plans to link, extend and modernise the two properties to add a separate office within the grounds of the site, and to improve the soft landscape, vehicular and pedestrian access and parking areas around the home.
The site is constrained, with external spaces extending to approx. 1650m2, with over 500m2 required for vehicular access and parking. The site design also needed to consider various constraints such as extreme level changes with gradients up to 1:8 (7o), many existing mature trees and other existing features.
Moore Environment were appointed as Artas-ua.info Architects in the early development stages of this project, carrying out initial site visits and appraisals, liaising with the Client and the Architect and producing a series of sketch scheme proposals for Client approval.
The design finally selected and detailed allows for retention and improvement of most of the prominent existing landscape features including all retaining walls surrounding the property and all prominent mature trees. The design sympathetically incorporates these elements whilst providing:-
- Porous paving to all vehicular surfaces providing parking for 12 vehicles, with associated access and egress and one way entrance / exit to public highway
- All other surface runoff drained to on-site soakaways
All user access:
- Level access around building to enable pick-up and drop-off of disabled users
- Disabled access throughout the site incorporating ramps with a maximum gradient of 1:12
- Large automated security gates to front entrance to prevent unauthorised access or egress
- A serenity garden, detached but easily accessible from the main building, providing an area for quiet contemplation with three separate seating areas for up to 15 individuals
- A patio area, immediately adjacent to the main building, an area for seating approx. 10 individuals
- Other outdoor seating areas providing intimate settings for 1-3 individuals
In the early stages of the project there were also proposals for two green roofs, one as a retrofit on an existing flat roof and the other as part of the new extension to the home. This proposal was removed from the design during a cost saving exercise.
Approximate Map Location
Sutton Coldfield, Birmingham
Hafod Nursing Home
To develop a hard and soft landscape design for improving the setting of the nursing home, vehicularnd pedestrian access, and parking areas.
Architect: S. WalshQuantity Surveyor: J. RoseM & E Engineer: MB HuntStructural Engineer: I.G. DesignArborist: R. Helliwell
Birmingham City Council
Stone Market, Grey Multi-Paving: natural stone paving to patio and pedestrian areas around building
Site furniturend features:
Black painted wrought iron gates, handrails and trip rails