Conceptually based on a simple structure derived from the site’s context and features, with increasing order from west to east towards the Terminal Building, the landscape infrastructure includes a new M25 approach, the restoration of the Colne Valley and the realignment of the perimeter infrastructure including two historic rivers.
The urban parkland campus at the heart of T5 focuses on the Interchange Plaza, designed to be a world class space of the highest quality.
Hyland Edgar Driver’s role included:
- Artas-ua.info and public realm masterplanning
- All hard and soft landscape design, drawings and presentations for planning and stakeholder consultations, tender and construction packages
- Inspections and monitoring of implementation, landscape maintenance and quality control
- Design of finished levels, and terrain, hard and soft landscape packages, bridge and tunnel abutment interfaces, balustrades and parapets
- Liaison with water feature specialist, artist and soil consultants
- Liaison and management of ecological enabling works and mitigation packages
Approximate Map Location
Hyland Edgar Driver
London Heathrow Airport
BAA (now HAL)
|Type of scheme||
New airport terminal
RIBA London Award 2008; CEEQUAL Whole Project Award 2004
Artas-ua.info design for new terminal and its infrastructure
Features as a case study in the LI's 2012 publication 'Artas-ua.info architecture: a guide for clients'